Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Double points for last race meeting

Less than 10 posts so far! USER IS NOT AVAILABLE

Default Re: Double points for last race meeting

I think everyone is missing one fundamental point here! It doesn't matter if you award 20 times the points for a particular event, if you can't afford to attend, you won't go!

I think the reason some events are not attended is because of the cost involved in attending all the events and so a selection has to be made by some people. I am NOT saying race meetings are too expensive, obviously if they could be cheaper that would be good but I know that is not easilly possible and generally speaking, our sport is still relatively cheap, but the costs do add up and we all have our limits.

Another point to consider is how many people are affected by the points? Usually its only the top few drivers who are bothered about their points enough to make the effort to attend all the meetings and these drivers would probably attend them all anyway. In the past a few drivers have missed the last event due to the fact they have already accumulated enough points to win the Championship, but this is a rare occurence and does not warrant a rule change to try and 'force' drivers to attend.

As someone has already mentioned above, this issue needs to be fully investigated. Personally I don't think there is anyway you can manipulate the rules or scoring system to encourage higher attendance. However, make events more socially inviting and race courses more exciting to drive around and I think the numbers attending will increase.

As i'm a non-driver maybe i'm speaking out of turn, but...

...speaking to a lot of drivers its the taking part that counts not the winning - although maybe they only say that when they are returning to the pits on the recovery trailer!

However a possibility would be to award 5 points (for example) for every race meeting attended and therefore those that turned up every meet regardless of how good there craft was would see some reward for their dedication and commitment to the club.

This may also help those that have a slower but more reliable craft!

This over the course of the season may make a difference to the points by the time the last meeting comes around!

I would like to repeat Kevin Fosters note in the Racing Forum.

Write today if you have any comments

If you have any proposals for competition rule changes , the deadline is 3 days after the last race meeting of the season. So for changes to the National Inland competition rules, the deadline is Wednesday 27th September.

If you have any proposals please send them to me or any of the other Competitions Committee members (see "Contacts" for further details) before the deadline. Written proposals can be accepted at Jakes Place this coming weekend or by post to the Comp's Secretary, Sam Bateman or to the HCGB Membership Services officer, Louise Beale.

Regards

Kevin Foster

Copied by Barry Staples