Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Double points for last race meeting

Less than 10 posts so far! USER IS NOT AVAILABLE

Default Re: Double points for last race meeting

As a non racer and developer of the software that tots these points up I'm strictly neutral on this. But the racing season is now fast giving way to the committee season. So as Lee Willars says now is the time to lobby committee members on what you, the member, would like to see. You'll find a list of committee members and phone nos etc under 'contacts' in the panel on your left. In the spirit of a 'Russ rant' to provoke debate let me offer the following:

Rant mode on

Double points for the last meeting is an interesting idea but why stop there? To encourage people to complete their new craft in time for the first meeting why not double points for that? We have a prob in that folk from Kent (my area) rarely travel long distances to events in Lancashire, so why not 50% more points if you travel more than 200 miles to a meeting? My point is that you very rapidly distort the whole points 'market' and make it worthless.

Ideas like this are generated because committees anxious to achieve change find fiddling with rules the easy thing to do - it's totally within their power at the meeting. More fundamental things require work outside the meeting by people prepared and able to put their time and skills into it. That's not a comment on the Hoverclub committees it applies in all clubs and businesses.

So when you lobby your committee members don't just say 'we should do x', come up with ideas on 'how'. In my view some of the major challenges facing the club (and 'hows') include:

The long term impact of noise on members and public opinion

-more active policing of existing limits and research into quieter technology

Finding better race sites

-on the ground spadework approaching site owners

Gaining and retaining more new members

-better mentoring of new members by local members

Rant mode off

These are interesting ideas, Keith.

If the thinking behind varying the points is indeed to influence the likelihood of people coming to a given meeting, then we should set about it properly. Social engineering of this sort needs a fully thought out, market based, scientific approach with adaptive, compensatory, software controlled, feedback.

One way of doing this is to declare that a fixed number of points will be awarded at each meeting. Let's set a large number, and just hand out the leftover ones randomly at the end of the meeting. Then if only a few people go to the meeting, they each get more points. That way people are encouraged to go to the unpopular meetings and stay away from the oversubscribed ones.

Another way is to have a kind of auction on the website. In the run up to the meeting, the number of points to be awarded is posted on the website, and this varies each hour according to how many people have booked places.

[serious mode on]

Your idea of more points for the first meeting is already in place. Starting with a 3 day meeting means 150% more points. This is being undone in the new rules.

We also already have variable points per meeting. If a race is dropped for some reason, then the maximum points awarded is reduced.

So in the existing system we actually have not only variable but unpredictable points per meeting, and it will be good to see all that go.

Nick

I think the Double Points for the last meeting will skew the results. It is attempting to ensure that all drivers attend the last meeting, but I fear that in attempting to do this, it will skew the results in other ways. An unexpected end of season engine mishap could undo a season of hard racing.

The last meeting has been traditionally a fun meeting, where drivers have swapped craft, tried new things and generally enjoyed themselves.

I urge all drivers to write direct to Comps as they take no notice of what is said on the Bulletin Board, as it is not an official channel of communication.

If you have a view on this, put it in writing now.

Barry Staples

I've got to agree. Most drivers make it to as many meetings as they can. Why should a driver be penalised because he/she did not make it to a particular meeting or has m/c problems at the last meeting?

I say, leave well enough alone.

Another change that I have problems with is the move from points per race to points per meeting. At a 3 day event, drivers have to put in 50% extra effort, thier craft have to be 50% more reliable they have to keep out of harm's way for 50% longer and commit to 50% more time. Why should they not get 50% more points? From my own personal point of view, as I have to pay ferry costs just to get to Wales, never mind the costs of driving 300 to 400 miles, I 'd like to see just reward for my efforts. 50% more effort / 50% more points.

although this is not the official line of communication for comps or any other commitee it does however give us all a chance to air our views and see if our opinion is shared by others before voicing our concerns officially

let's see what happens at Jakes, i predict there will be some unhappy people who feel they have been wronged and some happy people who feel they have been gifted a prize they probably don't deserve

Tony

I joined this club to have fun. For me the thrill of each race is unique. To match my talents and craft against someone else who is similar is a thrill. The points system will prove that I have done it more times than someone else and not always that I can drive a craft better. Some craft within a formula can have hugely varying power outputs. Is this an unfair advantage in the drive to accumulate points?

This season has, for me, been a series of meetings with friends to spend weekends testing my skills and the construction of the craft against those of likeminded people. My accunulation of any points is purely coincidental. Each meeting, including the worlds has produced emotional highs and lows based on immediate events. The social aspect, including juniors, is one of the most attractive aspects of hovercraft racing.

I was told after competing in one race at Rother Valley that I would receive no points because I had the wrong number on the craft. The reply was 'Never mind, it was good fun anyway!'

If we put too much weight on the accumulation of points and not the other aspects of this club, will it shrink to a small clique of serious racers?

Just a suggestion how about instead of double points the person that came 1st at the end of the race meeting gets and extra 20 points and then the 2nd person get 17 extra points and so on and so forth.

That would solve the idea of no double points but still makes the meeting more interesting.

I am in favour of the double points at the last event. This is for two reasons:

1) the championship is not decided before the last race meeting, which has so often been the case

2) drivers who have previously given up (as in completely stopped racing) early in the season, due to one bad event meaning no chance for the season, have been encouraged to continue through the season becasue with double points at the last race meeting there is a possibility to catch up

For me it is a more bums on seats issue, which makes the racing more fun for everyone I in my opinion.